Finnegans Wake Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading Pace and Holographic Prose II

Go down

Reading Pace and Holographic Prose II Empty Reading Pace and Holographic Prose II

Post  Zenjew Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Had a weird idea this morning...what if we read through FW *randomly*? As it's "holographic" in the sense that you can start anywhere and still get "the point" of the whole book, what do you think of, say, our moderator choosing a random page each week (perhaps using a random number generator?), and then we spend the week examining that page? Again, we can always start (let's say on Mondays) with an overview of what's "happening" on that page in order to get some context, and then delve into the nitty-gritty details, line-by-line?

I don't think anyone's tried that method before, so we could be pioneering a whole new approach...it'll also quickly give us a nice overview of the entire book, as we'll be jumping all over the place ("saturation reading"?!).

And folks, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to finish it. It's a circular book, so there is no finish, and to just want to "finish" it for some sort of sense of accomplishment can actually be a distraction. This ain't your standard novel, and judging by the lifespan of these types of groups, do you really think we'll all still be posting stuff here a year or two from now? Maybe, and I certainly hope so, but it's unlikely. However, if we take the random approach to reading it, folks can check in once in a while, go on vacation for a month or two, and then come back and not feel like they've missed anything, as others will be having fun all the while examining some page or another. What I'm hoping to get out of this group-read is access to all of your wonderful minds, exchange ideas and insights, and get fuel for a lifetime of engagement with this uberbook. I certainly never plan on stopping reading it, as it's literally become my bible (horrible analogy, but maybe think of it like a Bible study group, where you don't simply aim to "finish" it but rather unpack it and get insights).

What say you? I'm anxious to begin, so let's just pick a method -- any method, really -- and get going! I can take some time this weekend and prepare a basic outline of the characters and plot, a sort of road map, and post it here, and then we can be off and flying.

Cheers,
Roman

Zenjew

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum